White poppy seed oil
White poppy (papaver somniferous) is a species of flowering plant in the family Papaveraceae, probably originated in the eastern Mediterranean. It is a decorative plant that bears large beautiful flowers and spherical capsules containing small seeds. The poppy is cultivated since ancient times, mainly for its opium and seeds. The acient Minoans used opium (dried latex that is extracted from the immature seed capsules) to treat asthma, stomach problems and bad eyesight. The poppy seeds contain very low level of opiates that are not dangerous or harmful for health, on the contrary they offer some beneficial effects – calm nervous system, ease irritability and work as a painkiller. The poppy seeds are used in bakery products as fillings of traditional pastries and cakes, in deserts or on top of dishes.
Poppy seed oil is produced from poppy seeds. It consists mainly of Linoleic (Omega-6), Oleic (Omega-9) and Palmitic acids, rich in tocopherols and B vitamins, minerals including potassium, copper, calcium, iron and zinc. The oil has a pleasant nutty flavor and is used as salad dressing or cooking oil. Poppy seed oil is an important raw material in the manufacture of paints and varnishes. It has also pharmaceutical and cosmetic uses.
White poppy seed oil benefits for skin:
- deeply nourishes and moistures the skin, improves skin’s barrier function, prevents moisture loss, softens and smooths the skin.
- light feeling oil although absorbs slowly, doesn’t clog pores and helps balance sebum production, suitable for all skin types.
- promotes cell regeneration, revitalizes dull and tired looking skin, improves skin’s elasticity.
- provides powerful antioxidant protection.
- soothes and calms dry, damaged and chapped skin, reduces inflammations.
White poppy seed oil is one of the main ingredients in Atlantis Skincare Velvet Skin Night Elixir.