Coconut is a fruit, botanically drupe, not a nut, that comes from the coconut palm (Cocus Nucifera). It most likely originated in the Indian-Indonesian region, and float-distributed itself around the world by riding ocean currents. Today coconut palms are grown in more than 90 countries, but approximately two-thirds of production comes from Indonesia, the Philippines and India. In many societies, particularly in India, coconut has cultural and religious significance. Hindus consider coconut as a symbol of prosperity. There is a tradition of coconut breaking at beginning of every new activity to ensure blessing of the gods and success.
Coconut oil is extracted from the kernel of a mature coconut. Besides wide consumption in cuisine, coconut oil is used in cosmetics and skin care. Active compounds found in coconut oil – essental fatty acids such as Lauric acid, Myristic acid, Caprylic acid and Palmitic Acid provide powerful antibacterial, antiviral, antifungal and antioxidant action that offers many health benefits, but also is great for skin, especially for tired, dry and mature skin. It’s also great for your hair.
- Coconut oil benefits for the skin:
- deeply moistures and nourishes skin, it absorbs easily without leaving any kind of residue.
- anti-aging protection – repairs collagen layer, reduces fine lines and wrinkles, keeps skin smooth and supple.
- treats skin issues such as dermatitis, eczema, psoriasis, heals fungal infections.
- acts as mild natural sunscreen – protects from sun with natural SPF4, provides soothing and cooling effect on sun burned skin, reduces inflammation and pain.
- prevents and reduces stretch marks – penetrates deep into skin, strengthens the cell walls and increases skin elasticity, soothes irritations provoked by skin stretching.
Coconut oil can be found in Atlantis Skincare Stretch Mark Oil for Pregnant Belly.